George Siemens is writer, theorist, speaker, and researcher on learning, networks, technology, analytics and visualization, openness, and organizational effectiveness in digital environments. He is the author of Knowing Knowledge, an exploration of how the context and characteristics of knowledge have changed and what it means to organizations today, and the Handbook of Emerging Technologies for Learning. Siemens is a researcher and strategist with the Technology Enhanced Knowledge Research Institute at Athabasca University. Knowing Knowledge has been translated into Mandarin, Spanish, Persian, and Hungarian. Previously, he was the Associate Director, Research and Development, with the Learning Technologies Centre at University of Manitoba. His PhD, with University of Aberdeen, focused on how individuals sensemake and wayfind in complex information settings. In May 2012, he received an honorary doctorate through Universidad de San Martin Porres.
Siemens has pioneered open connectivist courses that have included over 15,000 educators and students as participants. He is a frequent keynote speaker at conferences detailing the influence of technology and media on education, organizations, and society, having presented at conferences in more than 30 countries. His work has been profiled in provincial, national, and international newspapers, radio, and television. Siemens has maintained the elearnspace blog (www.elearnspace.org/blog) for eleven years and www.connectivism.ca for six years.
TEKRI researcher blogs etc
- University Title Generator
- What does it mean to be human in a digital age?
- The Godfather: Gardner Campbell
- Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News
- The Future of Learning: Digital, Distributed, Data-Driven
- What’s So New about the New Atheists? – Virtual Canuck
- Reflecting on Learning Analytics and SoLAR
- Humpback whale in English Bay
- Learning and the Kardashians
- Study: People Want Power Because They Want Autonomy
- Hello world!
- W16: week 9 - beginning the artefact
- First, Let’s Fire All the Managers
- Open Learning Analytics. Again
- McDonald's as a learning technology
- Collective values