Learning Analytics & Knowledge
Research Topic Overview:
Schools, universities, and corporate training departments are tasked with improving organizational efficiency and capacity through learning and development. Unfortunately, the learning and knowledge development process is blind in many organizations, with only a limited organizational understanding of how learning inputs relate to quality learning.
Learning analytics is the measurement, collection, analysis and reporting of data about learners and their contexts, for purposes of understanding and optimizing learning and the environments in which it occurs (LAK11 Conference) TEKRI researchers are world leaders in exploring the role of learning analytics in various settings. Through increased use of learning analytics, universities, schools, and corporations can dramatically improve the effectiveness and quality of learning.
Why are Analytics Important?
- Reduce attrition through early detection of at-risk students
- Personalize learning process and content
- Adaptive content
- Extend and enhance learner achievement
- Improve teacher time and effort
Team Lead: George Siemens
TEKRI Activities in Learning Analytics:
Organized: 1st International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge course analytics
Collaborations with Open University, UK and University of British Columbia on learning analytics methods and tools. See this concept paper on open learning analytics (.pdf) for more information
OLnet Fellowship (Milton Keynes, UK) on analytics in open online courses (George Siemens, Summer 2011)
Organized and sponsored the 2nd International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge. Video proceedings can be accessed here: http://www.solaresearch.org/events/lak/videos-of-presentations-at-lak12/
Organizing host and sponsor for the Analytics, Big Data, and the Cloud conference in Edmonton. Founding member of the Society for Learning Analytics Research Founding member and first co-editor of the Learning Analytics Journal
Special Issue of the Journal of Educational Technology and Society on Learning Analtyics (2012)
EDUCAUSE Quarterly (2011)
TEKRI researcher blogs etc
- When cats play sax
- Is Google Scholar a Filter Bubble?
- Quality in Online Learning Presentation
- Our Spanish adventure
- Being Human in a Digital Age
- 1st Birthday – Riverdale’s Little Free Library
- Downe’s great summary article, but…….
- True costs of information technologies
- Adaptive Learners, Not Adaptive Learning
- Doctor of Education: Athabasca University
- Digital Learning Research Network Conference 2016
- Announcing: aWEAR Conference: Wearables and Learning
- What does it mean to be human in a digital age?
- The Godfather: Gardner Campbell
- Hello world!